Monday, November 20, 2006

Monday!!

 Good morning!
 
Well we are back in Louisiana and it is sunny and warm again today:)
 
I know you are all wondering how my run went this weekend. Gods plan may not have been my plan but in the end I am happy with how it all went:)
 
To be honest I did not think I would feel well during the run, our 1 year old was up Friday night sick and I did not get any sleep.
The course was to be flat, but it was rolling hills! I trained for a flat course and so did everyone else. I was ok with this, I really like hills but after several hours they seemed like mountains:) I really feel many were upset with the lack of accurate course descriptions and I have to save I cant blame them. This was a national Championship race and details should have been perfect! The other issue was there were not any age group awards!
40 and over was my age group and Marie Boyd whom I coach is 58 years old ran 92 miles and was the oldest women to finish was in my age group!!! Marie you get my award:)
 
I felt great, really great. My mind set with the loops was much better than I thought it would be. The course for me dictated when I would run and walk with the hills.
I ran the first hour easy with no walking just to get the bugs out. My legs did not feel like I could run until about 2.5 hours into it..some of you know how this goes!
 
I got into  the run walk plan, my nutrition plan felt great..
 
Finaly ran many laps with me and each lap seeing Bob (Birthday Boy) was awesome.
It was also awesome to see so many others out there and even DEAN who was running amazing...By the way I think Dean ran over 130 miles and was top 4!
 
9 hours into the run, I had no idea how far I had run..I did not care nor was I looking at laps..I just felt great and was doing my own thing...
Then..all of the sudden my left leg started to hurt, my IT band. I stopped and took aleeve but the minute I went from a walk back to a run the pain became sharp and very painful. Each strike of my left foot to the ground was a pounding knife to my IT band.
The pain started going up into my butt so I just walked.
 
What to do?
I had Jody work on my IT band and it was painful to the touch. I went to the bathroom and there was a bruise starting on the IT band.
I walked a lap with Finlay and then tried to run again..the pain was worse.
I wrapped and taped my leg but that was not going to help. I was offered some Celebrex or Viox but I did not want to run on this and limp for hours..
 
My choice was to stop running and not to walk for 14 hours. I was not willing to run and limp for 14 hours. So..I turned in my time chip...
I had gone, I think close to 60 miles in under 10 hours..this was with all the stops to try and decide what to do..
Like I said, I felt great and I still do..It was just meant for to run 60 miles and I am happy with this.
 
Today my IT band is painful and bruised. I will stay off running for now and try to start to just swim and bike.
60 miles is not a bad day at the office:)
 
The results of the race are not up yet..
 
Many fast times at JFK 50 this weekend! I am still waiting for results and will let you all know them soon.
 
Below is a wonderful story, if you have not read it before you need to.
 
Have a blessed day
 
Lisa
 
 
 
Don't forget to watch the video at the end.
 
From Sports Illustrated, By Rick Reilly

I try to be a good father. Give my kids mulligans. Work nights  to pay for their text messaging. Take them to swimsuit  shoots. But compared with Dick  Hoyt, I suck.

Eighty-five times  he's pushed his disabled son, Rick, 26.2 miles in Marathons. Eight times he's not only pushed him 26.2 miles in a Wheelchair but also towed him 2.4 miles in a dinghy while swimming and Pedaled him 112  miles in a seat  on the handlebars--all in the  same  day.

Dick's also pulled him cross-country skiing, taken him on his back mountain climbing and  once hauled him across the U.S. On a bike, makes taking your son bowling look a little lame, right?

And what has Rick done for his father? Not  much--except save his life. This love story began in Winchester , Mass. , 43 years ago, when Rick was strangled by the umbilical cord  during birth, leaving him Brain-damaged and unable  to control his limbs. "He'll be  a vegetable the rest of his life;'' Dick says doctors told him and  his wife, Judy, when Rick was nine months old. ``Put him in an Institution.'' But the Hoyts weren't buying it. They  noticed the way Rick's eyes followed  them  around the room. When Rick was 11 they took him to the Engineering  department at Tufts University and asked if there was Anything to help the boy communicate. ``No way,'' Dick says he was told. ``There's nothing going on in  his brain.''  "Tell him a joke,''  Dick countered. They did. Rick laughed. Turns out  a lot was going on in his brain. Rigged up with a computer that allowed him to control the cursor by touching a switch with the  side of his Head, Rick  was finally able to  communicate. First words? "Go Bruins!'' And after  a  high school classmate was paralyzed in an  accident and the school organized a charity run for him, Rick pecked out, ``Dad, I want To do that.'' Yeah, right. How was Dick, a self-described  ``porker'' who never ran more than a mile at a  time, going to push his son five miles? Still, he tried.  "Then it was me who was handicapped,'' Dick says. ``I was sore for two weeks.'' That day changed Rick's life. ``Dad,'' he  typed, ``when we were running, it felt like I  wasn't disabled anymore!'' And  that sentence changed Dick's life. He became obsessed with giving  Rick that feeling as often as he could. He got  into such hard-belly shape that he and Rick were  ready to try the 1979 Boston Marathon. "No way,'' Dick was told by a race  official. The Hoyts weren't quite a single runner,  and they weren't quite a wheelchair competitor. For a few years Dick and Rick just joined the massive field and  ran    anyway, then they found a way to get into the  race Officially: In 1983 they ran another   marathon so fast they made the Qualifying time for  Boston the following year. Then  somebody said, ``Hey, Dick, why not a triathlon?''

How's a guy who never learned to swim and hadn't ridden a bike since he was six going to haul his 110-pound  kid through a triathlon? Still, Dick tried. Now  they've done 212 triathlons, including four grueling 15-hour Ironmans in Hawaii . It must be a buzzkill to be a 25-year-old  stud getting passed  by an  old guy  towing a grown man in a dinghy, don't  you Think?  Hey, Dick, why not see how you'd do on your  own? "No way,'' he says.  Dick  does it  purely for "the awesome feeling'' he gets seeing Rick with a  cantaloupe smile as they run, swim and ride  together.

This year, at ages 65  and 43, Dick and Rick finished their 24th Boston  Marathon, in 5,083rd place out of more than 20,000 starters. Their best time? Two hours, 40  minutes in 1992--only 35 minutes off the world  Record, which, in case you don't keep track of these things,   happens to Be held by a guy who was not pushing another  man in a wheelchair at the Time.  "No question about it,'' Rick types. "My dad  is the Father of the Century.'' And Dick got something else out of all this  too. Two years ago he had a mild  heart  attack during a race. Doctors found that one of his arteries was  95%  clogged. "If you hadn't been in such a great shape,''  One doctor told  him, "you  probably would've died 15 years ago.''  So, in a way,  Dick and Rick saved each other's life. Rick, who has his own apartment (he gets home care) and works in Boston,  and Dick, retired from the military and  living in Holland, Mass. They always find ways to be together. They give speeches around the country and compete in some backbreaking race  every weekend, including this Father's Day.

That night, Rick will buy his dad dinner, but  the thing he really  wants to  give him is a gift he can  never buy. "The thing I'd most  like," Rick types, "`is that my dad sit in the chair and I push him once."

And  the video is below....must see.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79hUngrVwGM
 
Happy Feet!
Lisa Smith-Batchen
http://lisasmithbatchen.blogspot.com/
www.lisasmithbatchen.com
www.dreamchaserevents.com
www.tetonraces.com

Check out the new AOL. Most comprehensive set of free safety and security tools, free access to millions of high-quality videos from across the web, free AOL Mail and more.

No comments: