Wednesday, June 21, 2006

A wonderful cause to support!

 Hi All,
 
One of our good friends and coaching client is running the Atacama Desert Crossings and read below what he is doing it for!
 
Have a great day
Lisa
 
 
 
 
Atacama Desert Crossing
Harbor House Domestic Violence  Shelter
Donation Support Form
 
As I mentioned I will be competing in the 2006 Atacama Desert Crossing in the Atacama Desert in Northern Chili. This is a 150 mile, 7 day ultra marathon across the Atacama Desert. One reason for this competition is to raise money for needy charities. I have raised money for several organizations in the past, however, I feel that this is the most important and worthwhile cause I have ever been privileged to be a part of. I have chosen to raise money for a local organization, The Harbor House Domestic Violence Shelter. All the money raised for this nonprofit organization will go to a victim assistance fund to help victim’s of domestic violence and abuse.   Harbor House has been in existence for over 25 years, and the need for our unique services continues to grow.  Unfortunately because of budget cuts and shifting governmental priorities, Harbor House funding has not increased proportionately.  Also, the need for services, unfortunately has not decreased along with the funding. In FY 2005- there was a 122% increase in request for services .This has resulted in a number of clients being referred to other agencies, usually far away from their home towns. In FY 2005 53 families, including 77 children, were referred due to lack of funding and service availability. So far this year 57 families, including 82 children have been referred due to lack of services.
 
In order to expand our services to meet the needs of our community, we are asking for your pledge dollars.  Not only will your involvement sustain my efforts to complete this race, (and believe me- it helps tremendously) but your generous donation will also aid survivors of domestic violence in their own journey. 
 
Some people have asked me why this cause is important to me. Basically, because this hits very close to home. Growing up in a violent and abusive home in the 50’s and 60’s there were no agencies that could help and as the choices for us were very limited, my mother could leave and raise 7 children alone in a culture which was less supportive than today’s world, or stay and hope for the best. I believe today that nobody who is in this situation should be limited to those choices.
 
 
 For more information concerning Harbor House and the services provided go to http://harborhousedv.org . For more information on the Race go to www.RacingThePlanet.com and click on the Atacama Desert link. For more information about this fund raising event you can contact me at  jimdoc21@hotmail.com
 
I am asking that you help support me in my efforts to complete this race and reach my goal of raising $10,000.00 for this worthwhile organization.

 
Do not give any money at this time. This is simply a pledge form. All I ask is that you indicate the level of support you are comfortable with and the Harbor House staff will contact you in the near future to collect your tax deductible donation. If you have any further questions about Harbor House or the race you can contact me at jimdoc21@hotmail.com. Alternately, you can mail your tax deductible contribution directly to Harbor House at :
 
Harbor House
P.O. Box 1824
Kankakee Illinois 60901
 
I wish to thank you in advance for your support, both of my challenge and in helping this  great organization.
 
Corporate:      $1000.00
 
Platinum:        $500.00
 
Gold:              $250.00
 
Silver:            $100.00
 
Bronze:            $50.00
 
Other:            _________________ (please indicate amount)
 
 
 
 
Name:______________________________         Phone number:____________________
 
 
 
 
 
Happy Feet!
Lisa Smith-Batchen
JOIN MY BLOG!!!
www.lisasmithbatchen.com
www.dreamchaserevents.com
www.tetonraces.com

Check out AOL.com today. Breaking news, video search, pictures, email and IM. All on demand. Always Free.

No comments: