Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Home sweet home

It is hard to believe it is already Nov. 13th!!!

I spent 2 weeks at the hospital with my father and I am back home now. We all prayed for a miracle and we got a miracle. The Doctor's can't believe how well my father is doing! When they told him that they almost lost him a few times on and off the operating table his eyes were full of tears as he said thank you!!! I have saved all the emails and blog posts to make a book for my father with all of you who have been praying! Your prayers have been heard and we are so thankful.

My father has a long road ahead of him but we are hopeful that he will be back home in his own home soon. Life is so precious, so fragile. I have learned that I need to be more patient, don't move so fast and to really stop and smell the roses!!
It is Thanksgiving time, so much to be thankful for!!

Below is an article about a friend and past coaching student, Mike Wardian who just ran the Olympic Trials.
Mike lead the race for the first 10k! Mike was running the pace he usually runs but none of the other's went with him. You will see that Mike really slowed down but was thrilled to lead the race for 6.2 miles!
The idea in most races would be to run this kind of 10k the last 10k but Mike wanted to see what he could do so he went for it:)

Great going Mike.


Saturday, November 03, 2007 3:56:00 PM
Wardian enjoys moment in front

By Dave Ungrady / WCSN.com

Michael Wardian led through the first six miles of the 26.2-mile course, but he was back in the pack before long.(Dave Ungrady / WCSN.com)
print this page e-mail this page
Wardian leads for six miles:

350KFor a little more than a half-hour Saturday morning, Michael Wardian of Arlington, Va., provided an intriguing element to the U.S. Olympic trials in the men's marathon in New York City. Wardian, who boasted a personal best 2:21:37 entering the race, took the lead in a slow race by the end of the first mile and held that position through just beyond the six-mile mark. He ran the first mile in 5:21, which would have put him about a minute faster than his best time if he maintained the pace.

Wardian's position in the front surprised many race observers, prompting speculation that it was a stunt for personal publicity. Not so, he said.

"I just went out at the pace I wanted to run," he said moments after crossing the finish line in 92nd place with a time of 2:30:04. "Nobody went with me. So I kept running it until I couldn't run it anymore. I paid for it later in the race. It was great for 10K to lead the Olympic trials. It was a pretty cool thing."

He then made sure to give thanks to his sponsors, naming a few of them, and to the fans who cheered him on.

Wardian is prone to perform unconventional acts. He set a world record for running a marathon on a treadmill in 2:23:58 in 2004. The record has since been broken. Earlier this year, Wardian set a Guinness World Record for running a marathon in 2:42:22 while pushing his then nine-month old son Pierce in a baby stroller.

Wardian is an Olympic marathon trials veteran. He finished 22nd at the 2004 U.S. trials race in 2:22:40. But this year's trials was his 12th marathon of 2007. His legs could not support a better effort.

"This was the hardest one I've done this year," he said. "I went out pretty hard and I paid for it later. I started feeling it at 10K. You could tell. I felt like the Tour de France on a breakaway, [announcer] Phil Liggett saying 'the pack is going to eat him up.' I heard the guys filming it saying he's about to get taken. The next thing I know I get spit out the back. I was happy to be able to suck it up and finish pretty strong. It's something I'll never forget. That's how you learn and I'll take something away from this and hopefully move on and improve next time."
Wardian hopes to improve his marathon time on a treadmill. He is considering another 26.2-mile effort on the stationary device by the end of the year to reclaim his world record.


BELOW: Is a race recap of a student who ran a half marathon last weekend.

Look at the splits:)
Mile Pace HR T. Time
1 7:29 145 7:29
2 7:31 151 15:00
3 8:18 153 23:18 hill
4 7:40 158 30:58
5 7:37 156 38:36
6 7:24 160 46:00
7 8:11 164 54:11 hill
8 7:11 164 1:01:22
9 6:59 167 1:08:21 down hill
10 7:51 168 1:16:13 hill
11 6:29 177 1:22:43
12 7:01 175 1:29:44
13 7:11 176 1:36:56 hill
13.1 :38sec 177 1:37:34
He ran a great 5k at the end!!!!:)

Have a wonderful day
Lisa

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, Yes, Yes!! Fantastic news!

I'm so glad to hear your dad is recovering. A little modern medicine, prayer and family support goes a long way when it comes to events like this.

Wishing you and yours all the best during your fathers recovery & always,

Jason & the Tamarack Family

Michele Jensen said...

Lisa - I'm so happy to hear the good news about your father. I will continue to pray for him and you and your family. Have a great thanksgiving!!
Michele

Anonymous said...

Welcome home Lisa!

Great blog.

Greg

Olga said...

Hoorray for Dad!!! So glad to hear it.

Anonymous said...

Nice! Wonderful news about your father. Looks like your coaching gave your friend a successful race, but why run the 10k so fast and finish near the end of the pack? Seems he needed to go slow to go fast as you tell me to do! Ha, Ha.
Joe

Dane said...

I echo everyone else's statements and am very happy for you Lisa.

Wardian is in my running club. Nice guy.

sherpajohn said...

Glad your dad pulled through so well Lisa. Continued prayers on his road of recovery... and for you as well.