Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Why If you’re reading this Blog, you should consider doing MdS!

Hello Everyone – MdS fever is definitely in the air! Spots for 2008 (and even 2009!) are filling up, but we’d love to have you join us. Why? Read on for the perspective of a past participant and dear friend, Cathy Tibetts.


Lisa,

I'm hoping you will forward this to the women who find the Marathon des Sables a little intimidating. I was also intimidated by the thought of it, and did my first one about 10 years ago when Americans weren't doing it and there was nobody to turn to for coaching.

I was so afraid of not being able to finish. I watched a movie that somebody had sent to me, looking for every little clue I could find about clothing and gear and the landscape.

Well, I finished, and did quite well not even knowing what the heck I was doing, (wrong gear, wrong food, wrong shoes, wrong socks, no gaiters...the list is endless) and can honestly say it was one of the biggest life-changing experiences that I ever had.

After that, even problems in life seemed so insignificant. When a problem came up, I'd just think "This is nothing, I just ran 150 miles across the Sahara Desert." I remember going to the pool where I used to just swim a mile,- and said to myself "Well I can do two miles,- I just ran 150 mile across the Sahara Desert." I started signing up for 100-milers,- it had to be easier than 150 miles across the Sahara Desert. After that I had no qualms about multi-day adventure races and the EcoChallenge. Eventually I qualified for the Hawaii Ironman World Championships,- twice. And it all goes back to finding out that most of your physical limits are really in your mind.

And to top it off, I went back four more times because it was so much fun!!!

Please forward this to everybody, as I have no financial interest in this and it comes from the heart. For every cent you pay to go, you get back far more.

Cathy Tibbetts

1 comment:

Olga said...

Hmm, so tempting...Lisa, I got two problems: visa, and my husband's permission to take two weeks away...especially to plan 2 years ahead of time. But I would like to? What a girl to do?

But - you guys have a blast this Sunday at IM!!!