Thursday, December 07, 2006

Amazing people!

Good morning! It is a bright sunny morning here in the Tetons..I know the ski resorts must be praying for snow and I hope for there sake it does snow but for selfish old me I love the sunny bright days:):)

One of my best friends from grade school has just finished her last round of chemo (breast cancer). Her spirit and attitude have been so amazing let alone her humor. Below is a email she sent out..#5 sent me off balling!
So now for 5 reasons why chemo is great:

1. You can take all the cash you saved on hair color and cuts, and buy something you really want. And not another wig.

2. No need to shave, anywhere. It is clear and smooth.

3. Finally you can beat your family in the amount of time to get ready for the day, just shower, and shake the wig and poof out the door.

4. Spiritually, the Lord holds me closer than ever before and allows me to see his purpose more often.

5. Lastly, the determination to make a difference in all the dimensions of my life. Exercise, diet, less stress, more relaxing, by focusing on God above rather than the things here on earth. Chemo laid my life down so that I might pick it up again in a new and healthy way.


Next is an update email from a client who is new to ultra running but is doing very well and was selected for Western States 100! Cyrus has decided to run WS with a purpose, assisting families with autistic children.
I hope you will all follow his goal to help raise money and join in on the efforts.



Hello Lisa and Jay,

had a great and very tough trail marathon this past Saturday. The hilliest course I have run so far (even more so than the 50 miler) and had to adjust mentally on what my gameplan was to be. I went from a 5 hour goal to sticking with our plan of pw big hills, run the rest and keep steady pace. I ran the first 6.5 miles in 67 minutes and knew that I would not be able to keep up the pace (not enough hill work) so patiently attacked the uphills and tried to monitor my nutrition and fluid intake. Had only 3.5 hours of sleep and drove thru the early morning to arrive at the race just before the start. My son, Ari, who has had some recent seizures had another one early Friday morning at school. We went to the school with the paramedics, then to the hospital and were sent home within 2 hours. Was struggling whether to run the next day, and was reassured by the doctors that he was fine and if anything happened again (very very doubtful) he would be in good hands. So with mixed emotions I made my way south to Bloomington Indiana.

Very muddy, many stream crossings and over 3,800 feet of ascent and descent. The hills were tough, the mud was at every corner. I fortunately purchased a pair of gaiters which kept the mud and debris out of my shoes. I took no spills and ran a faster 2nd half (2:50 v. 3:26).

The hot cocoa at mile 19 got me kick started to the finish. I ran the last 7 miles in with a young man named Rob. We kept our minds busy with what type of soup (potato, vegetable or chicken noodle) was awaiting us at the finish, it was vegetable and very yummy. We must have passed over 10 people with no one passing us (either a sign of our finishing kick or a reflection that everyone else had already finished the race). I believe in the former. I felt good with my race execution and flexibility, not getting caught up in time and focusing on race strategy, especially with the extreme hills ( I know, nothing compared to what I will encounter at Western States) and my lack of hill work.

I was thinking during the entire race about my son and what steps we need to take to figure out his seizures and autism. A run thru the woods seemed so simple in comparison. Actually, I believe my attraction to endurance events is that this is a race and process that I can control, manage and conquer. My son's situation requires a little bit more delicate and subtle approach, which I am getting better at.

On the way home I heard your voicemail informing me that I got in the Western States race. I am so excited about the opportunity and challenge. I know that I have 6 months of training to get in the best shape of my life. I am looking forward to the process and interested in what rigorous training you will have me do. I plan on kicking off my 501(c)(3) assisting families with autistic children by raising funds with my WS100 race. Cannot think of any better cause to help me get thru the 24 hours of running, walking and praying this upcoming June. I initially wanted to finish under 30 hours to become an " official finisher", but have been constantly thinking about doing it under 24 hours and getting the coveted "buckle". I know that today "buckling" is not possible, but with your assistance over the next 6 months, anything is achievable. I think my body can handle the stress, the question will be whether my mind can get me thru the rough patches.

Thank you Lisa for being so encouraging in your words and your deeds. Running a 50 miler was a crazy dream last May and now 6 months later, I am getting ready to run 100 miles thru the Sierras. Lisa, looking forward to meeting you and Jay in person (maybe at the Rocky Raccoon 100 in Texas) and game planning about WS100.

Cyrus


I leave you today with this:

"YOU make a living by what you GET, YOU make a LIFE by what you GIVE"

Have a blessed day
Lisa

1 comment:

Olga said...

Lisa, loved the quote!