Monday, June 12, 2006

weekend

 Hi all!
 
Well the weekend for training did not go as planned for but hey this happens to us all!
 
Friday I set out to do 6-7 hours with my friend and BW crew member Erik, several other local runners were going to come and join us for both. The goal was to go up and down Ski Hill road to Targhee ski resort as many times as possible in the 6-7 hours. Its 6 miles one way UP HILL at 6-7% grade.
 
The forecast was for thunder storms all night.
We started off in the rain and it kept raining. I had all my Gortex clothes on that I would wear in the heart of the winter! Remember we are heat training.
As darkness starts come come so does the fog. We see a truck parked on the side of the road and ask them what they are doing. Hunting, they say. What are you hunting? Bear!!!!
 
We made it up the hill and down one time. As we are headed down the hill we smell dead fish is a few spots, the fog is so bad you cant see 5 feet in front of you. These hunters threw dead fish on the side of the road to bring the Bears out of the woods! Needless to say I was not comfortable with this at all. It was pitch black outside, raining and fog. All I kept thinking about was walking into a Bear and I know that Erik and I would taste much better than a dead fish!
 
We got back to the van in 2:38 total time and I called it a day. I told Erik that I was freezing cold, it was 43 degrees and we were soaked. My idea of Heat training and a fun workout does not include rain, cold and BEARS!!!
We made a good call, the other local runners never showed up and it started pouring rain even worse and even some snow and hail at the resort.
I really don't feel you have to be miserable in your training, but if this happened in a race you would do your very best to work through the situations.
 
Sat. I did 3 hours pushing Gabby and pulling Annabella. I had all my gortex clothes on and I was HOT!
Sun. I did 3 hours again and cross training. So in the end I got my long run in for the weekend, it was just during 3 different time periods.
 
Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do.
 
Hope your weekend was great
 
Lisa
 
Happy Feet!
Lisa Smith-Batchen
JOIN MY BLOG!!!
www.lisasmithbatchen.com
www.dreamchaserevents.com
www.tetonraces.com

Check out AOL.com today. Breaking news, video search, pictures, email and IM. All on demand. Always Free.

No comments: