Monday, March 10, 2008

Running MdS for a Purpose: JEFF GRANT





For what charity or cause are you running the 2008 Marathon des Sables?
I'm running to support ING Chances for Children. It's an ING Group and UNICEF corporate program that aims to give 120,000 children access to education in 2008. According to UNICEF, more than 115 million children in the world do not have access to education. This program advocates quality basic education for all children — girls and boys — with an emphasis on gender equality and eliminating disparities of all kinds.




Why did you decide to run with a purpose?

I'm proud to work in a corporate culture that values giving back to the world. My employer is based in the Netherlands, I work in Switzerland, and we have offices in dozens of countries. My job puts me in touch with people from all corners of the world on a daily basis. Through my work I've been fortunate enough to experience the immense power, benefit, and fulfillment that global collaboration brings. It's inspiring to see what can be accomplished when people from all parts of the world with different cultures, languages, and backgrounds join together in a positive spirit. I'm hopeful that the ingredients of this athletic pursuit, ING's Chances for Children program and my global network will come together in a perfect recipe to raise awareness and funds to provide education to impoverished children.


My secondary aim is to inspire others by showing how it is possible to make a lifestyle transformation as I did 12 years ago when I lost 65 pounds and shed an unhealthy, sedentary lifestyle and set a new course for health and fitness.





How can people contribute?

Please see my blog http://mds2008jeff.blogspot.com/ for more information, including the announcement within the coming weeks on the launch of a donation site with ING and UNICEF. More information on the ING Chances for Children program is available here: http://ingchancesforchildren.com/



1 comment:

Lisa Smith-Batchen said...

jeff..you are strong fit and ready...I am so proud of you and how far you have come.

lisa