Tuesday, May 15, 2007

My own training!

It is yet again another sunny beautiful day here in the Tetons! I don't remember a mothers day when we did not have snow, so this was such a treat!!

I am trying a different way of training this year for doing the BW double and then 2 bikes races. You can't ride a bike very well if you don't ride a bike:):)

I will and have been only running 3 days a week at the most. One day right now is about 2 hours with steep climbs and a back pack of 12 pounds..have to wear a pack to run the Desert Rats race next moth!

One day at the track doing all kinds of running, stairs, jump rope and all the fun stuff/cross training I love to do..if you were at camp you now know all my secrets...most of this workout in done with a medicine ball.

The 3rd day is a long run of up to 5 hours...the Teton pass which is 10-12% grade and is the best training for BW. 5 hours will be my longest run except for the 145 miles I will get in while running Desert Rats race on top of the great heat training this race will be.

Then..2-3 days I ride my bike and one of these days another cross training session with jump rope and medicine ball. NO gym needed for me right now. The bike rides will include lots of hills..1 short ride with speed, one medium ride with hills and one long ride that will get up to 200 miles..but this wont happen until Aug.

So..there you have it!

Chris the RD of Badwater had this quote on his newsletter..I love it!

QUOTE FOR THE DAY

"When you're in the desert, you look into infinity.... It makes you feel terribly small, and also in a strange way, quite big." – David Lean

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

'only running 3 days a week at the most. One day right now is about 2 hours with steep climbs and a back pack of 12 pounds..'

There is something behind this workout. Lisa can tell you I have not had the greatest training or competing year. Zero speedwork but I've had my 10-12lb pack on running and powerwalking and today going 80-85%, hit 7 miles in 47:03. Not bad for someone training for fastpacking and not 10K's.

When you run without the pack you definitely feel a lot lighter on your feet!

Harvey