Friday, January 08, 2010

What shoes do you have on? I have my Hope shoes on!

DO YOU HAVE YOUR NIKES ON?
by Darcy Keith

When running in the race of life, what kind of shoes is on your feet? Are they high-heeled stilettos, loafers, house slippers, or tennis shoes? While we may be concerned with what is on our feet and how comfortable they are in the situation, if we don't have the right type of shoes on, we may not succeed.

I mean, a runner doesn't wear a pair of wrestling shoes if he is running a marathon. He wears the most appropriate running shoe that will go the distance. When you prepare to run, one of the first things you do is stretch to warm your muscles. If not, your body isn't prepared for what you are about to do.

But what about the race of life? There are many things, which come up for which we may not be prepared. You may be stressed out, suffering, and not know how to handle the situation. But, there is HOPE.

Hope that you can overcome whatever you are facing and be victorious.

As my pastor, Randy Gilmore, says, "Hope is confidence in present resources and ultimate good."
The word, Nike, is Greek for 'victory' or 'overcoming'. In the race of life, I want to have my Nikes on. For those of you who have heard one of my motivational presentations and me talk about my "shoe issues", when I tried out for the girls' basketball team in eighth grade (I couldn't find shoes big enough to fit me in the women's section, so I had to go the men's shoe area to find a pair), guess what tennis shoes I picked out? A new white pair of Nike hightops with a red swoosh. Though I didn't know if I would make the team, I had hope in wearing my Nike tennis shoes as I was prepared to do my best.
In the middle of life's storms where you may feel stretched, stressed out, are suffering, or something else may be going on in your life, Hope lifts our spirits as we go though the storm. God has generously provided a way to carry you through it. Having hope protects our minds, like a helmet.
Hope provides us a way out of our struggle and shields us, like an umbrella. Hope lifts our spirits from the storms in life, which may be dampened. Hope is having your Nikes on when facing your situation, as we are overcomers and victorious. There is power in hope!
Here are three thoughts to keep in mind when running in the race of life:

1. Look for hope in your present resources.
2. Surround yourself with friends and family who support you.
3. Seek guidance and assistance from others who can help you along your journey to reach the finish line.
Be victorious and have your Nikes on!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is very good Lisa
Thank you for posting.