I hope you are doing well and behaving at the start of this holiday season. Most Americans gain 2-5 pounds over the holidays- don't let that be you! Small steps over the next few weeks will help you stick with your new healthy life. Below are some tips for Thursday.
The average American consumes 5,000 calories at Thanksgiving dinner! That’s more than most of you need for the entire weekend. Use these tips when celebrating on Thursday:
· Have normal breakfast and snacks
· Chew gum while socializing around the kitchen to avoid the appetizers. (Mini quiche= 500 calories; Crudités with ½ cup artichoke dip = 600 calories)
· Eat slowly and savor each bite of the main course
· Choose only 2 side dishes ((1 cup) Mashed potatoes = 250 calories, Creamed spinach = 350 calories, Bread stuffing = 380 calories, Cornbread stuffing = 500 calories, Candied sweet potatoes = 400calories, Cranberry sauce, ½ cup = 200 calories)
· Realize there will be leftovers
· Share or skip the dessert ((one slice) Pecan pie = 520 calories, Apple pie = 420 calories, Pumpkin pie = 320 calories) One scoop of ice cream adds 150 calories. One dollop of whipped cream adds 40-100 calories
· Drink mostly water (8-ounce hot apple cider = 120 calories, 12-ounce beer = 150 calories, 5-ounce glass wine = 140 calories)
Have a great extended weekend and happy running!